Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Middle Earth

For all of you who have wondered whether I'd disappeared, here are some photographs that I took a couple of weeks ago. The support stocking being off and the holes in the leg just looking ugly but not hurting, I joined a fabulous walk.

The Shire



JRRT stayed near here and this landscape is believed to have been the inspiration for some of his Middle Earth passages. In the distance, you can see the highest point in the Brecon Beacons. The river meandering through is the Usk. The sky really was that blue and the greens were that green. Of course, the only way you get a really green landscape involves quite a lot of rain. Shame about July and August, or the monsoon season as we've learnt to call it.

A harebell - campanula rotundifolia



Also called witches' thimbles, fairy bells and Old Man's bells (where the old man is the Devil). This little clump was at the top of the hill. Maybe Tolkien saw elves there as well.

Spottie Boy enjoying a rest at the top



Look, he's got fur on his back again. Isn't he handsome? Not the poor, bald and scarred / scared boy who arrived last April.

See I knew that I'd stop being a whining old git. Some of the crap has diminished and when I read other people's blogs, I know that I have a lot to be happy about.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better/up and around. I'll have to go back in your archives...I wasn't here last April...he looks like a happy old fellow now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. The one of The Shire makes me very homesick. And Spottie Boy looks most happy and healthy. Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really losing it..I swear I left you a comment. I spent about an hour this morning reading about your other two dogs and getting this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments of late, most appreciated. I can't get on to your other blog site - do I need a password? Lx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. Lovely dog. Great to have you back. Jean X

    ReplyDelete

Go on, have a little mumble here. You know you want to.

Followers